Did anyone do anything fun this weekend? Not much was going on so I thought I’d see if you guys had anything you wanted to share….
Okay, look, Palace played terrible – we all know that. We all watched the game on Sunday as a newly promoted side took it to our “established” Premier League club. Palace looked out of sorts and to say there was a lack of creativity would be a gross understatement. Our full backs were all over the place and Wilfried Zaha had two or three Sheffield United players on him at all times.
But, there is hope. At least that is what I am going to tell myself. If Barack Obama can win a United States Presidential election on the word hope, then I can attempt to write a few words and sell the readers of TEB on that same idea.
You may be asking yourself, “Andy, we both watched the same match this weekend – how can there be hope for this squad?” Well my friends, let me try and talk you off that ledge you are currently standing on.
Here are five reasons to have hope for the rest of the season.
1. Wilfried ‘Dazet Armel’ Zaha is still at Crystal Palace Football Club. Yes, he was bottled up this weekend and teams will continue to attempt to do so but he is just so good. Like, really good. He will break out in due time.
2. Palace are known to be slow out of the gate. While it would be nice if they didn’t continue to do this year after year, they have shown that they are more than capable of turning around a season.
3. There are still 108 points up for grabs this season. It’s been a rough two matches, there is no denying that. But it’s only been two matches. Will Palace finish the season with a 36-1-1 record? If I had to guess, I would have to say no. But out of those potential 108 points, can we take 39? I wouldn’t bet against it.
4. Have you seen Watford play this season? Yikes.
5. We can say “Mind the Gap” to Chelsea fans and watch them glow red with anger. Try it today. I promise you that you will feel better afterwards. (But don’t you dare say a single bad word about American Christian Pulisic. He is the greatest player to ever play the game and I dare you to find a better player. At least according to media coverage here.)
Bonus: We’ve played so poorly so far this season that maybe Aaron Wan-Bissaka will feel bad and let Zaha run behind him for a goal. Hey, a man can dream right? Speaking of AWB, how weird will it be on Saturday watching him totally shut down Max Meyer or Jeffery Schlupp? I know this is a Palace website but man, I am not looking forward to that match-up.
I’ll end on a lighter note…
I want to thank everyone that follows TEB on Twitter and interacts with us on match days. I’ve had the pleasure of taking over the account a few times during matches and it’s always been a lot of fun. I will say that I was on quite the hot streak in having overseen both the Arsenal and Bournemouth wins last season. But, all good things must come to an end.
It was also the first time in my sons entire existence that Palace were defeated. Not a bad run. Although I had to tell him that he should expect to see this result more often. He looked up at me, smiled, and stuck both of his hands in his mouth because he is four months old. To be so carefree….
I’ll end as I always do, but this time, I wanted to include some words of encouragement from years past…
UP THE PALACE!!!