The games come thick and fast as the third in eight days is upon us as the Eagles make the trip to bottom club Watford who are in disarray after parting company with their second manager this season.
7th December 2019
Vicarage Road, Watford WD18 0ER
The last visit to Vicarage Road for the Eagles was back in March. Midfielder Etienne Capoue gave the hosts the lead just before the half hour but Chelsea loanee Michy Batshuayi scored the equaliser. The Hornets found the winner courtesy of Andre Gray but the game will be remembered for a challenge on Wilfried Zaha early in the game that should have seen a red card.
REFEREE – Martin Atkinson
ASSISTANTS – Constantine Hatzidakis, Daniel Cook, Peter Bankes (fourth official)
VAR – Andre Marriner, Ian Hussin (assistant)
PALACE – Joel Ward and Scott Dann are both expected to be unavailable while Gary Cahill and Patrick van Aanholt may face late fitness tests.
WATFORD – Danny Welbeck misses out while Craig Dawson, Daryl Janmaat, Tom Cleverley and Sebastian Prodl are doubts.
Red cards – Christian Kabasele (1), Mamadou Sakho (1)
Yellow cards – Luka Milivojevic (7), Jose Holebas (5), Jordan Ayew (3), Abdoulaye Doucoure (3), Craig Dawson (3), Kiko Feminia (3), James McCarthy (3), Roberto Pereya (3)
Last FIVE meetings between the two sides;
- 16/03/2019 Watford 2-1 Crystal Palace
- 12/01/2019 Crystal Palace 1-2 Watford
- 26/08/2018 Watford 2-1 Crystal Palace
- 21/04/2018 Watford 0-0 Crystal Palace
- 12/12/2017 Crystal Palace 2-1 Watford
Last FIVE results for Palace;
- 03/12/2019 Crystal Palace 1-0 Bournemouth
- 30/11/2019 Burnley 0-2 Crystal Palace
- 23/11/2019 Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool
- 09/11/2019 Chelsea 2-0 Crystal Palace
- 03/11/2019 Crystal Palace 0-2 Leicester City
Last FIVE results for Watford;
- 04/12/2019 Leicester City 2-0 Watford
- 30/11/2019 Southampton 2-1 Watford
- 23/11/2019 Watford 0-3 Burnley
- 08/11/2019 Norwich City 0-2 Watford
- 02/11/2019 Watford 1-2 Chelsea
RECORD AGAINST WATFORD
- Played 120
- Won 49
- Drawn 27
- Lost 44
Top two rated players from each team so far this season according to Who Scored;
- Wilfried Zaha 7.12
- James McArthur 7.00
- Gerard Deulofeu 6.74
- Etienne Capoue 6.66
ONE TO WATCH
Former clubs – Chelmsley Town, Walsall, Halesowen Town (loan)
The striker is back in the starting line up after a lengthy injury lay off and he might be the key to the Hornets finding some form. They have missed what the combative 31 year old brings to the side and he will no doubt be looking to be key in any kind of recovery Watford need to see to escape the bottom three where they have been for much of the season. Deeney is pushing 350 appearances for the club who he joined back in 2011 from Walsall.
JORDAN AYEW v CRAIG CATHCART
The Ghanaian Prince put in a terrific performance against Bournemouth on Tuesday night and was key to the Eagles securing all three points. If he keeps up with the same work rate then the Watford back line are in for a tough time, particularly former United defender Craig Cathcart. The centre back has been a regular in what is a struggling Hornets side this season but will be keen on continuing their recent good form against the Eagles. It will be interesting to see if 3 games in 8 days starts to take its toll.
- Top scorers – Jordan Ayew (4), Gerard Deulofeu (2), Andre Gray (2)
- Watford have failed to win 18 of their last 19 league matches
- Top assisters – Gerard Deulofeu (2), James McArthur (2)
- Watford have won their last 3 matches against Palace in all competitions
- Top passers – Abdoulaye Doucoure (827), Luka Milivojevic (655)
- Watford have scored at least 2 goals in their last 3 matches against Palace in all competitions
- Top tacklers – Abdoulaye Doucoure (36), James McArthur (36)
Big question marks on who will make up the Palace back line at Vicarage Road which is likely to have a big influence on the outcome of this game. The poor form that the hosts have been suffering has to change at some point but the Eagles are on the up and looking to record three wins in a row.
Final score: Palace to win 2-1 (Ayew, McArthur)
TEB had a chat with Andy Lewers from The Hornets’ Nest and the Stairway To Seventh podcast about the season so far, thoughts on the game and much more.
- Home – 7/5
- Draw – 9/4
- Away – 21/10
- Both teams to score – 4/5