The long run of Palace not having to leave London continues with a short trip across the river to take on Frank Lampard’s in form Chelsea in the early Saturday kick off.
9th November 2019
Stamford Bridge, Fulham Rd, Fulham, London SW6 1HS
A first half goal from Alvaro Morata in this fixture last season sent the hosts in at the break a goal up but Palace came out for the second half firing as Andros Townsend levelled things up. Morata soon grabbed his and Chelsea’s second before Pedro sealed all three points for the Blues.
REFEREE – Mike Dean
ASSISTANTS – Ian Hussin, Dan Robathan, Andy Madley (fourth official)
VAR – Andre Marriner, Andy Halliday (assistant)
PALACE – Cheikhou Kouyate and Gary Cahill are expected to be fit while Andros Townsend and James McArthur are doubts. Mamadou Sakho and Connor Wickham are unlikely to feature.
CHELSEA – Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Marco van Ginkel and Antonio Rudiger are all ruled out. Ross Barkley and Mason Mount are doubts.
PALACE – none
CHELSEA – Jorginho
6 bookings – Luka Milivojevic
3 bookings – Marco Alonso, Jordan Ayew
2 bookings – Andreas Christiensen, Fikayo Tomori, Tammy Abraham, Jeffrey Schlupp, Joel Ward
Last FIVE meetings between the two sides;
- 30/12/2019 Crystal Palace 0-1 Chelsea
- 04/11/2018 Chelsea 3-1 Crystal Palace
- 10/03/2018 Chelsea 2-1 Crystal Palace
- 14/10/2017 Crystal Palace 2-1 Chelsea
- 01/04/2017 Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace
Last FIVE results for Palace;
- 03/11/2019 Crystal Palace 0-2 Leicester City
- 27/10/2019 Arsenal 2-2 Crystal Palace
- 19/10/2019 Crystal Palace 0-2 Manchester City
- 05/10/2019 West Ham United 1-2 Crystal Palace
- 28/09/2019 Crystal Palace 2-0 Norwich City
Last FIVE results for opposition;
- 05/11/2019 Chelsea 4-4 Ajax
- 02/11/2019 Watford 1-2 Chelsea
- 30/10/2019 Chelsea 1-2 Manchester United
- 26/10/2019 Burnley 2-4 Chelsea
- 23/10/2019 Ajax 0-1 Chelsea
RECORD AGAINST CHELSEA
- Played 53
- Won 11
- Drawn 15
- Lost 27
Top two rated players from each team so far this season according to Who Scored;
- Tammy Abraham 7.49
- Christian Pulisic 7.27
- Wilfried Zaha 6.99
- James McArthur 6.98
ONE TO WATCH
CHRISTIAN MATE PULISIC
Former clubs – Brackley Town, Michigan Rush, PA Classics, Borussia Dortmund
The striker joined Borussia Dortmund as a 16 year old in 2015 and made his professional debut for the Bundesliga side in 2016. He went on to make over 80 appearances for the club, scoring 10 goals before Chelsea signed him in January for £58million. Not many people know that his current sting in England is not his first. The USA international spent a year in England early in his career where he played for the youth team at National League North side Brackley Town.
GARY CAHILL v TAMMY ABRAHAM
This is a game that Gary Cahill would have been looking for in the fixture list but there will be no room for sentiment he will be key to keeping Tammy Abraham quiet. The young English striker has 9 Premier League goals to his name already this season and will be looking to add to that but we would not put it past Cahill to pop up at the other end with a goal for himself.
- Chelsea have won 5 of their last five league matches
- Palace have conceded at least 2 goals in their last 3 league matches
- Cesar Azpilicueta has the most tackles between the two sides so far this season with 28 followed by Jorginho with 27
- Chelsea have won their last 3 matches against Palace in all competitions
- Jorginho has the most passes between the two sides so far this season with 865 followed by Cesar Azpilicueta with 696
The mentally draining evening in the Champions League may well have an effect going into this game. The Blues fightback from 4-1 down was special and the emotion of almost winning the game had it not been for VAR was incredible, but a rested Palace side must be looking to exploit that. It is likely that Roy Hodgson will be forced into a change or two with players carrying knocks off the back of defeat to Leicester City last weekend. We’re expecting an entertaining game with goals and a point for the Eagles would be great.
Final score: 2-2
TEB had a chat with avid Chelsea fan Jenny Brown to get her views on the season so far, thoughts ahead of the match and much more.
- Home – 3/10
- Draw – 4/1
- Away – 8/1
- Both teams to score – 20/23