Next up at Selhurst Park is Wolverhampton Wanderers, fresh off the back of their first Europa League group stage fixture on what is a busy day in London for the Premier League with four games taking place across the capital
22nd September 2019
Selhurst Park Stadium, Holmesdale Road, Selhurst, London SE25 6PU
This fixture was a real smash and grab last season as Wolves returned home last October with all three points courtesy of a second half goal from defender Matt Doherty.
Stuart Attwell takes charge of this fixture with Richard West and Neil Davies his assistants. The fourth official will be James Linington with Andy Madley as the VAR, assisted by Andy Halliday.
PALACE – Scott Dann (hand/wrist) could return while Martin Kelly (groin/hip) and Connor Wickham (ankle/foot) remain doubtful. James Tomkins (groin/hip) may have to make do with a place on the bench again while James McArthur is questionable.
WOLVES – No reported injury concerns at the time of writing.
Red cards – Willy Boly
4 bookings – Luka Milivojevic
2 bookings – Ruben Neves, Ryan Bennett
1 booking – Cheikhou Kouyate, Gary Cahill, James McCarthy, Joel Ward, Jordan Ayew, Max Meyer, Vicente Guaita, Wilfried Zaha, Jonny, Pedro Neto, Raul Jimenez, Romain Saiss, Ruben Vinagre
Last FIVE meetings between the two sides;
- 02/01/2019 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-2 Crystal Palace
- 06/10/2018 Crystal Palace 0-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
- 01/01/2013 Crystal Palace 3-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
- 02/10/2012 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Crystal Palace
- 02/02/2010 Crystal Palace 3-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Last FIVE results for Palace;
- 14/09/2019 Tottenham Hotspur 4-0 Crystal Palace
- 31/08/2019 Crystal Palace 1-0 Aston Villa
- 27/08/2019 Crystal Palace 0-0 Colchester United
- 24/08/2019 Manchester United 1-2 Crystal Palace
- 18/08/2019 Sheffield United 1-0 Crystal Palace
Last FIVE results for opposition;
- 19/09/2019 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-1 Braga
- 14/09/2019 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-5 Chelsea
- 01/09/2019 Everton 3-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers
- 29/08/2019 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Torino
- 25/08/2019 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Burnley
RECORD AGAINST UNITED
- Played 65
- Won 21
- Drawn 18
- Lost 26
Top two rated players from each team so far this season according to Who Scored;
- Willy Boly 7.36
- Jordan Ayew 7.05
- Joao Moutinho 7.05
- Joel Ward 6.91
ONE TO WATCH
Former clubs – Porto, Padroense (loan),
The 22 year old midfielder is key to any success Wolves have, both from their excellent first campaign back in the Premier League and going forward. The Portuguese international arrived at Molineux in July 2017 for an undisclosed fee, thought to be in the region of £15.8million. He made his debut for Portugal in 2015 against Russia.
JORDAN AYEW v WILLY BOLY
After a disappointing performance from Ayew against Spurs last time out, he will be keen to prove he should be the first choice striker for the Eagles this season with Christian Benteke waiting in the wings. Much will depend on how he squares up to Frenchman Willy Boly who will likely be the main man in a back three for the visitors.
- Wolves have failed to win their last 6 Premier League matches
- Out of the two sides, Ruben Neves is the leading passer with 273 ahead of Luka Milivojevic on 237.
- Wolves have 3 points from their opening 5 Premier League games compared with Palace’s 7.
- Palace have managed two clean sheets to Wolves’ 1.
- Out of the two sides, Joao Moutinho has the most tackles with 18 ahead of Andros Townsend on 14.
Palace have yet to concede at home or taste defeat in the Premier League so far this season. With the already lengthy involvement in the Europa League combined with that dreaded second season syndrome, it is hard to guess what kind of Wolves performance will be seen at Selhurst on Sunday, particuarly after their poor start. For that reason, we are going with Palace losing their run of clean sheets at home but to grind out a win to remain unbeaten.
Final score: 2-1
TEB had a chat with Thomas Baugh from Wolves Blog this week. Find out what he told us about the season so far, thoughts on this game and much more.
- Home – 8/5
- Draw – 2/1
- Away – 15/8
- Both teams to score – 19/20